Monday, April 5, 2010

I'm am an official transcriber!

Hello everyone!

Things have been extremely busy for someone taking the semester off... between December and the end of January, I was trained for a new job. I am now a TypeWell Transcriber! (Technically I could have a career with this, and drop out of school and just transcribe... BYUI actually wants to hire me on permanently when I finish school. But I am finishing my accounting degree and then David and I are moving away for his grad school... But still, pretty exciting that I will have two careers when I finish!) If you are interested in what TypeWell is, you can visit the website: typewell.com

In a nutshell, I type into the TypeWell program using the TypeWell abbreviations and a deaf or hard of hearing student sees what I type on another computer, where the abbreviations expand to normal English in real-time. It's really a neat program.

Before I started TypeWell (TW), my "high score" typing speed was 111 words per minute with 98% accuracy. My high score with TW is 250 wpm. Below is a screen shot of one of my exercises during the training. The program said a phrase and then I typed it out using the abbreviation system (but they expand when you hit space, so you see the finished product, not the abbreviations): [Note the 232! w00t!]



It has been a very good job. I basically attended the equivalent of 20 credit hours worth of classes this semester, but I didn't have homework, so I was able to learn casually without worrying about grades. I loved it!

Next semester will be scary because I will be going to school and working.... I just hope that everything works out well with scheduling so that I have time to do homework!!

The one scary thing about this job is that now I live in constant fear that I am going to trip and break a finger. I figured out that the only finger that I can break without making myself completely useless in my job is my left thumb.... it's the only finger that doesn't type. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers